In the 1920's,
there was a gravel pit in Stuttgart-Hofen that had expanded
throughout the years. Since that time, the gravel pit has
been transformed into a 600 meter long lake --- Max-Eyth Lake.
Named after the Swabian engineer and writer Max Eyth (1836
- 1906), the lake and its surrounding area were put under
conservation in 1961.
The area around Max-Eyth Lake has turned into a paradise for
hikers, bikers, fishermen and anyone interested in water sports
and being outside. Grassy areas allow groups of all sizes
to relax under the shade trees, play games on a summer day
and even have a barbeque. Near the peninsula, picnickers and
people wanting to barbeque will find access to water.
Max-Eyth Lake is the ideal habitat for plants and trees where
many rare animal species can be seen as well. An island near
the northwest section of the lake is a designated bird protection
area where great crested grebes, geese, swans, coots, cormorants
and even gray herons make their home.
On the lake's peninsula, there is ample opportunity to rent
a boat. Peddle boats, row boats, motorboats - whatever your
desire. Swimming in the lake in not permitted.
The restaurant 'Haus am See', located on the lake's northeast
shore, offers culinary specialties and provides a relaxing
Subway - U14, Stop Max - Eyth See